Saturday, March 28, 2009

I survived 30 Hours without Food!

People preparing for the Famine

You've got the power! Yeah! It's has been quite some time before I update. The
reasons excuses were I busy with my assignments, tutorials and a test. if I don't
post it sooner or later it won't have the Umph![power].
On 12pm 21st March 2009, we started our 30 hour Fast till 6pm the next day. Many of my
friends have already post their feelings and photos, well I'll just post on a few more
from my point of view.

Volunteers doing some ice breaking - Superman

In the camp, we always have sharing after every activities, I'm quite amazed by how people
shared their experience and feelings. When it come to my turn, I just lost what I wanted
to say. It's not that I have no feelings or didn't experience anything. Maybe I'm just not
very good in expressing my ideas. Throughout my study we're more keen to express ourself
in words rather than verbal.

Our Rev. Ting receiving souvenir from YB Dato Patinggi George Chan

During this time too people were willing to do anything in order to survive including
drug smuggling, prostitution and working in mafia gang. In my family, I urged them not to
take up any illegal occupation. In the end, thanks to the cooperation of every family
member we're able to get everyone vaccinated, get our camp done but we only got enough
food for three out of eight members in the family. I believe we can do it better if there
is a next time. :)

Vowed to fast for 30 hours.

There are many performances by local artist including Daniel Lee, Francessca Peters,
Evenstarr, Soulcatchez and other performing artists. The organising commitee really did a
great job on this.

Catwalk by Jolene and Alex the food lover.

Through this camp I had met many nice people around, normally I won't talk to people I do
not know in the camp but this time I try to talk to new friends in my group and found out
they are very nice folks. Especially our group leader, Sheldon and his assistant, Grace.
Besides, I graduated from Kuching High for 3 years and still have the chance to meet the young ex-highians - Karen and Angelina Jolie. There are people who come with family too like
Viki. I remembered her mom saying she was really worried when Viki's camp was destroyed by
local authority though she is in my "family". We lend them our building materials to get
their camp back to shape after that.

Sagging camp roof (Group 3)

Our better looking camp roof with newspaper string

[Warning: Civil engineering content!]

From the photo you can see that our camp is made of newspaper, plastic chair and nylon
stirngs. Our group had problem with sagging roof so we try to solve it by using suspension
roof and increased the weight of our four columns(chairs). It did worked very well and in
the end I spent too much time on the camp I that I forgot to get my food provision.. =_="

The legendary King David Wong

In Famine Challenge 2, we're refugees in Kolkata after an earthquake. So we moved in to
the city to make a living there, if we couldn't make enough, we have to move to the slump.
What we did was making stars from newspaper resembling refugees making handy crafts to
make a living. We need to earn 15 Rupees each person per day in a family in order to live
through the day. If someone is sick then the situation will be worst. Our family combined
into 16 person but we only managed to get 1 rupee from the sale of 10 paper stars. Hehe!
What a haul for 1 single rupee.

Poverty Quiz

Wow... I thought I don't have time to blog about 30 hour famine but in the end I wrote so much. Hopefully you guys will read some of it and continue next time you arrive as I won't be updating frequently.. Took photo with William and Jolene, Dixon and her sis. Thank Dixon-wolfhermit for the photo. The best emcee signed on my fan! Yeah!

Break fast! I look so terrible...


Ezekiel and Karen. She has whole lot of post on 30-Hour-Famine. She is my first fan.. Haha! Never though anyone would admire me playing guitar.. Hehe! After 30 hours, we learned to appreciate more and complain less and we have save some
kids!

Last but not the least... Best regards toGladys Wong, Gabriel Kuon, Alex Poh, David Wong, Phoebe, Yuki, Linus, Lily, Lance, BL
teacher(forgot her name), one girl in my family not mentioned in this blog (I forgot her
name -_-)..

Sidetrack: Do I really look 14 in the camp? I'm 21 this year... Hehehe!

No comments: